About Me

My photo
Midway, NC, United States
I retired from Bali Bras, Sara Lee Intimates. Married in Oct 1976. I love meeting new people so hope to hear from you. Drop me a line. I've been doing crafts of all kinds since I was a kid. I loved making things and especially things that are recycled. I had never stamped until 2001 when I went to a stamp class while on vacation. We went to a local store to buy the stamps we had used. OUCH. When we got home I saw a Stampin Up catalog and realized how much money I could save with their stamps and best part as they are sets that go together which makes for easy card making. After doing some thinking I decided I should sign up as a demo and see what happens. I didn't know the first thing about stamping and still learning. Retired from Sara Lee Intimates in Feb 2001. I was in sales after many years, since age 18, as an office person, secretary, office assistant, etc. I am out of Stamping Up since Spring 2017 but still have lots of supplies!!!! These days I'm back to quilting and having a great time.

Friday, January 30, 2015

I'm back. 2015 I think will be a good year

October, 2014.
Surprise, I'm not dead.  I had some moments of wanting to give up as life felt a bit stressful since my last post.   I've just completed 6 weeks of a caregivers workshop to discover that caregivers have to take care of themselves.

First let me catch you up on Mama and life in general.  Someone at Caregivers saw my blog and said it was time to update it.  I had to take some time off as being a caregiver and POA is more involved than I thought.

It's felt like such a long journey since this all started 6/30/14.    Her doctor ignored her symptons for 3 weeks.  We ended up at Prime Care who later sent us to the hospital.    Yep they admitted her 7/19.  From there she went to rehab for several weeks.  Who knew that a UTI in your 90's could be so major and cause so many issues and personality changes.    She was confused, disoriented, refused to eat or drink fluids.  Wouldn't take her meds.   She had good moments and some hard to deal with moments.    Mama had never been sick and so independent and all of a sudden we were going along and fell in a big hole.  Felt like we would never climb out but we did.   In rehab she got broncitis and once again was hard to deal with.  For over a week, she forgot how to answer a phone, button a blouse, hold a spoon, do normal things.     She begged to die and wanted to go to Hospice.  

There is life ahead.  Mama turned the corner and August 20, 2014 she was headed to a new home.   We made a quick decision to move her to Creekside Terrace Independent Living.  Medical and Therapy did not feel she could go home alone and prepare meals, etc.  5706 Creekside Terrace Winston-Salem NC main

 She is no longer in "Failure to Thrive" but rather she is thriving in a new environment that is lovely and her studio apt. is the talk of the staff.

Mama celebrated her 92nd. b'day there, 9/21/2014.  It was celebrated with a cake and balloons.  She's having fun I think.    They do  lot of singing, hanging out, chatting and meeting people who knew someone she knew.  She has lovely meals prepared by the chef with nice choices and she just has to show up to enjoy them.  Someone cleans her apt. weekly and changes the linens that they provide.

Recently she painted a pumpkin, yep my mama being crafty.

It's now 11/3/14.  Mama has been in her new home about 2.5 months and is adjusting and loving her new life.   
 I must say she adjusted even within the first month better than her daughter did.  I felt so darn guilty for not taking her back home but on the advice of everyone, it was best to go from rehab to the new place.    Looking back, it must have been meant to be that the remainder of her life should be in a pretty place with lots of new friends.  
It's now Jan, 2015 and Mama seems very happy.  She said it's about time she had some fun.  We are so happy for her and hope she has more birthdays ahead.

Mama has lived in her little house, built in 1928,  since she arrived in 1946 from Cuba and now it's for sale.  So much cutier in the spring and with more furniture and hanging baskets.    Anyone need a little 5 room house, 1 bath?
  It was tough to see her move but she has much more to smile about now.  She's done a lot more in a few months than past years.     Spring will soon be here and she'll be rocking on the front porch at Creekside Terrace or sitting on her back patio.   Here's to a great year ahead, Mama.

Later I'll tell you what I've been up to while I've tried to get back to my life.     That's for checking on me and for hanging around.

No comments:

My Blog

May, 2009 when I started the blog and it's still a learning experience even in 2017.

If you are ever looking for a retired stamp set, ask me, I might have it and let it go.

As a follower you'll get emails when I post things which I tend to do in batches, once or twice a month once I get back on schedule.

Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate all comments.